Thursday, December 11, 2014

Why a blog?

Like I said in my previous post, this is so not me. But in the same breath it is so me. I like to write and journal. Putting my writings out for the whole world to see is what is kind of scary (that is if anyone is even reading). 

I have been reading a few different blogs on the treadmill lately. I know that sounds extremely nerdy, but I don't like running in the cold and reading is a much better distraction than TV. Most of the blogs I have been reading are about women (girl power!), but many of them are old enough to be my mother and have children of their own. With that being said, I don't have much in common with these women and therefore for it is difficult for me to relate to them. I don't have to fit in runs while my kids are napping or find a babysitter for long runs. I simply don't have those problems. 

With my blog, I hope to encourage girls my own age that running, being active, and eating healthy aren't just things fitness addicts do. Everyone should do them, especially young women (& men)! Why not get yourself used to a healthy lifestyle while you're young so it is engraved in our brains for when we are a little bit older and will really appreciate our younger selves for looking after our bodies. I know as young adults it is difficult to live a healthy lifestyle if our family isn't on board since we still live at home. Trust me, I am still currently facing that struggle. My family has been the biggest supporter of my races and such, but they have also been the biggest enemy. Teasing me when I would turn down seconds or dessert because I should "live a little." Little did they know I felt way more alive while running or working out than I ever have stuffing my face with foods that I would just regret later. 

Fortunately, I am lucky enough to have my own exercise room in my house. My exercise room is my sanctuary, no one is allowed in and my parents know better than to bother me while in there. I have a treadmill, which I bought about a year ago with my own money, a stationary bike, and an open area to do various workouts. Even if you don't have the room or equipment to workout at home, most schools have weight rooms. If one is driven enough, regardless of their environment (friends/family/access to facilities), they can live a healthier lifestyle. 

The other aspect of a healthy life is good eating. Don't get me wrong, I love my sweets and occasional super cheesy pizza, but I do try to eat healthy. I know my metabolism won't be this great for the rest of my life, so I am already forming non-toxic habits. If a family really stresses family meals (mine doesn't) and healthy options for meals aren't available being totally healthy can be very challenging. But you can get your family on board to eat a little healthier. Volunteering to cook the meals is a great chance to change family diets. 

I don't want to be a part of a cyber generation where all we do is sit behind a computer screen (doing that right now.. OOPS). I want to be a part of an active generation, where exercise and eating healthy aren't shamed, they are coveted.

So let's get sweaty and stick together (pun intended) fellow teenagers! Don't shame your friends for bringing a healthy lunch to school or for exercising, encourage one another to live a healthy and active lifestyle. 

Katelynn 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment