Sunday, October 4, 2015

Time Management

College is busy. College is stressful. College is hectic. College makes me want to stay under my blankets in my footy pajamas until the magical homework fairies finish my assignments and take all of my tests; sometimes. 

But how do I stay on top of my never ending to-do list without having a mental breakdown every day?

Time Management!

I imagine time management as a super hero dressed in a suit that constantly nags you until you make efficient use of your time. Too bad that super hero doesn't exist. The only one that can keep you on top of things is yourself.

In my Business 189 freshman class (2 credits short of bypassing it) we had to fill out an excel sheet for an entire week of our time. We had to plan for every 15 minute period, then we tracked it. I pretty much stayed with my original schedule. It was ironic that I wasted time trying to remember and tracking what I did. Oh well. All in all it was a good reminder of effective time management. 

After six weeks in college here is what I have found works the best to keep from falling behind:

Lists 

I am a lister. That's not a word, but I just made it one. Lists keep me on task and prioritized. Making a list every night before bed makes it clearer for what needs to be done tomorrow and by what time. Adding specific details, like office hours of a professor, to the task saves time when the task needs to be done. I put the most important items at the top and work my way down throughout the day. At the end of the day, if something doesn't get crossed off I add it to the list for the next day. 

Planner

I am a very visual person. I like to see things written out. A planner is a great way to keep events and daily tasks organized. Adding details into a planner saves time in the long run as well. Along with a portable planner, a large monthly calendar is useful. There are many creative ideas for creating your own monthly calendar, but I prefer to have a paper one so I can write in future months. 


Set a Timer

If I am struggling to study or do homework by aimlessly scrolling through social media, I set a timer on my phone (10-20 minutes) and put it on the other side of the room (let's be real that's only like 5 feet in my dorm, but still) and work on that task until the time is up. Another thing I have been doing recently with my phone is charging it on my desk at night. It keeps me from spending too much time on it before bed and once my alarm goes off, I am physically up. 

Allow for Down Time

No one can work 24/7. We all need some time for leisure. After 8 pm (unless I'm extremely behind) I am done with all homework and studying. That is my time to just chill out, watch Netflix, read a book, or aimlessly scroll scroll social media if I really want. It not only gives me something to look forward and work towards, but it allows my brain to shut off for awhile. I think it's important to have some time free of all commitments and stress. 

Those are my tips for efficient time management. 

I don't like to waste time because time cannot be retrieved. I had some great quality time with Grant this weekend. It was the first time he was able to visit me in Fargo. Is harvest done yet? ha ha the struggle. We celebrated our 4 year anniversary which is on Thursday the 8th. We ate good food, went to a funny movie (The Intern), and just enjoyed time spent together. Please still love me Grant, after I publish this with the picture below!

"mmmm, donuts" - Homer Simpson
What are your tips for time management? What do you like to do in your downtime?

xx 
katelynn

No comments:

Post a Comment