Monday, September 7, 2015

Summer Recap

Well hello there! Haven't heard from you in a while, oh wait, that's my fault. I haven't posted anything since April. *embarrassed emoji* I know, it's bad. I want to take my blog seriously and I feel like I finally have the time to do that. 

This spring was so unbelievably busy. With peak softball season ( we came within one game of state), training for a half marathon, and planning graduation I was stretched pretty thin. Did I physically any thinner though? Absolutely not. Who needs the freshmen 15 when they got the graduation 15? haha. 

So I am going to catch you up on almost everything from April 28th to now. This will be somewhat lengthy and probably a little rambled, so read at your own risk ;)

On May 24th, 2015 I graduated with my 14 other classmates. I earned the honor of being named valedictorian. To date I feel that is my biggest accomplishment of life, even though it doesn't mean much in college. 
Turtle Lake - Mercer Class of 2015

Val and Sal

On May 25th, I moved out of my childhood home and into my parent's empty rental house in Mercer. It was time for me to be on my own, and not just for my sake, but also for my family's. Living on my own was a good experience and I feel much more independent from it. I am so grateful my parents trusted me and provided the opportunity for me do to so.

For the 4th summer I babysat for a family of four girls in Washburn. Once again, being a nanny taught me patience and responsibility. It also taught me that I want to wait a longgggggg time before having children of my own. Even though at times it was a little stressful, I love that family and I consider those girls sisters. 




On May 31st, there was a local 5k fundraiser for our school's music program. Mom walked and I ran. I was in pretty good shape in the midst of half training. I ran my 5k PR of 25:06 and was the first female finisher and second overall finisher. Even though there was a total of about 15 runners, I'm still considering this a highlight of my summer!
Never been a winner before!

On June 13th, I ran my second half marathon in West Yellowstone, Montana. Mom and I road-tripped and tented for our trip. I had a specific time goal for this race, but I didn't reach it. The elevation and a gigantic hill were not factored into my goal. I still PR'd and enjoyed an extremely well-organized race in beautiful country. Vacation Races did a great job and I'm excited to run Yellowstone in 2016!

Where's Yogi and Boo-Boo?
Climbed to the top of Mt. Washburn with my mom!

Hiking and exploring the park
I really wanted to do another half in July while I was still in good shape, but there were not any nearby, so I settled for a duathlon. On August 1st, I competed in the St. Gabriel's Community Duathlon at McDowel Dam in Bismarck. I didn't train too much specifically for the duathlon, but I kept up my running and added a few bike rides in throughout the week. I am not too sure that I liked the duathlon event. Running after riding 14 miles on a bike is HARD. My legs felt about 300 pounds each. It was a somewhat miserable experience. I have decided that biking is for fun and crosstraining. 
2015 St. Gabriel's Duathlon
That same day, the 31st, after my duathlon in Bismarck, my mom and I booked it to Jamestown for State Women's Slowpitch Softball. A local team asked me to play with them for the summer and I ended up playing 1st base for them. It was fun, yet competitive. I don't mean to brag, but at the Mqcuade tournament (after a very fun night at my cousin's wedding ) I hit a home run right over the left field fence at my first at bat. I surprised myself. I had no idea I was even capable of that. At the state tournament we placed third. I was nervous that since I was the new girl I would be a bench warmer, but the entire team was very welcoming and I hope I have the chance to play with them next summer. 


At the end of August my mom and I went back to school shopping with Kensley and her mom. I love this little girl and I am excited for her to start school this year. This was the first time she got to go just girl shopping for clothes - she's a natural. 

The Sports-Booster club put on a color run fundraiser the week before I moved to Fargo. The day we went shopping, Kensley and I decided that we were going to do it together. I came to the school with expectations of her wanting to walk the course, but when I got there she informed me that we were going to run it. I didn't turn her down! We did a run-walk throughout the entire 2 miles and once again - she was a natural. 
Photographer: Robin Wahl
On August 22nd, I moved to Fargo, North Dakota to attend North Dakota State University. My parents helped me move into my tiny dorm. So far, I am liking the college life. I am able to navigate the campus pretty well and my classes are fun, yet challenging. All summer I was looking forward to running in Fargo, and now after two weeks of Bismarck Half Marathon training in the books here, my feet and legs are aching for the softness of a gravel road instead of cement sidewalks. I still love the unlimited options of routes and house gazing, but I might be on the Wellness Center treadmills to save my legs for the Bismarck Half on September 19th (more on that later :) ). 

So if you made it through that it entire post, HIGH FIVE TO YOU! That was long, but I feel that I needed to recap the time I missed blogging so I can continue to blog about the present, not the past. 

xx Katelynn

No comments:

Post a Comment