Friday, December 12, 2014

Beach Body Guide

Kayla Itsines

If you haven't at least heard of that name I am going to assume you that live under a rock, or never engage is social media (basically the same thing). 

Kayla Itsines is a personal trainer from Down Under (Australia - if you really do live under a rock). I found her on Instagram (@kayla_itsines) a few months ago thinking "Oh, this chick is pretty fit, I am going to follow her for some extra motivation." After for following her for awhile, I realized that she has an ebook guide. I saw her clients' transformations I decided I was going to do her guide. 

I was currently in the middle of volleyball season when I wanted to start. I made myself wait to begin until after the season so I could focus 100% on my senior year of volleyball (que tears).This morning I finished the last resistance training session of week 4. That month flew by!

First a little background on the ebook...

Viewing the book on my computer was a little intimidating, so I printed it out and put it into a binder instead. Each week of workouts is laid out; Monday - legs & carido, Wednesday - arms & abs, and Friday - full body. Since I just completed weeks 1-4 I will only discuss those. For the first month, the plan consists of 2-3 resistance workouts, 2-3 LISS sessions, and one stretching session. The resistance workouts are designed in a circuit of 7 minutes per set. Four exercises with specified reps are repeated for 7 minutes. For example if you complete 10 squats, 10 burpees, 10 mountain climbers, and 10 lunges before the time is up you start again with squats. I didn't really understand this concept on day one, so I did the reps and was done in about 5 minutes (way to not read directions Katelynn). There are two sets illustrated in the book. You do each one for 7 minutes then repeat. The total resistance workout is 28 minutes plus the time in between sets feeling like this girl I have never met is trying to kill me. #DeathByKayla. It's a legitimate hashtag on IG.

The other main component for the first month is LISS training. It stands for Low Intensity something or other. It's basically walking at a quick pace, but I like to fit my running days in on the LISS days. The minimum time for LISS is 35 minutes. I'd usually warm up walking for 5-10 minutes, run for 15-30, and then walk again for 5. 

It's not cheap, but so far I think it's worth it. Also, knowing good money was paid for the guide keeps me motivated. Also, it is not easy! Just because it is a guide geared toward women designed by a woman does not mean the workouts consist of easy exercises. I am a relatively fit person and began this guide in pretty good shape and it still kicked my butt at times. [Push-ups are not my friend, but I am learning to love them.] The workouts pass by quickly and I'm done before I know it, usually rejoicing when I hear the timer ring for the final set to be over. 

I am not saying "go out and by this book today!" It may not be for everyone, but it works for me. She actually just released a bigger and better version, with pre-training and more details (I just downloaded mine this afternoon!). If you're interested, read some reviews about it and look at her transformation photos; do your homework.

After a month of fully dedicating myself to her guides, I feel like I am a part of a movement. Fitness isn't about counting every calorie or spending hours at the gym. Fitness is about fueling the body with the right foods and keeping the muscles active. I am proud to be a member of Kayla's army (we've got guns ;) ) and I feel accomplished to be 1/3rd of the way done with the 12 week guide.


Katelynn
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment