Saturday, September 26, 2015

Post Race Blues

Post race sadness may not be a real mental health condition, but some blues after a goal race for runners is all too real. 

Think we just need to "get over it"? Well, my nonrunner friends, think of it this way: You put so much effort, time, and heart into something and then after a few hours it's over. 

After a training cycle and race I always get a little sad and feel like I have somewhat lost my self-identity. It hit me hard after the Yellowstone Half in June. I was in a rut for weeks after that race. It slowly creeped up on me after the Bismarck Half last weekend. After a great race like that one, I was ready to keep my training up to do another half in mid October. I scheduled my week of workouts while still on an endorphin high and that was a HUGE mistake!

I ran two easy miles on Monday. It was nice to take in my surroundings and the sound of my breathing and footsteps without music for once. 

On Tuesday I started boxing class at the wellness (OMG SO MUCH FUN) and had planned to go for a bike ride that night, but I straight up didn't feel like it. 

On Wednesday I had planned to do about 20 minutes of intervals with a mile warm up. I ended up only doing 10 minutes of intervals. I meant to do a core workout that day too, but that didn't happen either. 

Thursday was boxing class again, which involved a lot more strength conditioning than Tuesday. Instead of going for a run or spending some time on the stair stepper, I watched Netflix and ate dark chocolate. 

Friday, I did what I had planned and spent an easy hour on the elliptical (re-watching Parks & Rec; yes I still laugh out loud even the second time through.) 

This morning I let myself sleep in and then set out for a super slow long run of 7 miles (I consider anything over 5 miles or an hour a long run). I ended up doing 7.5 because of construction, but for the most part IT FELT GOOD. Usually the first long run after a race is the worst, but I feel like I approached it right with 8/2 run/walk intervals. 
*taking in pretty leaves while trying to stay upright*

To get out of my funk after Yellowstone I had to do some serious running retail therapy. I bought two new pairs of shoes. Today I only bought a new pair of socks (because poor college kid status) and I'm excited to run in them! Weird how people get excited about material things like that. 

My week of crappy workouts is over and I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. Lesson learned once again, even though my mind is ready to go full steam ahead right after a race, my body is not.


Katelynn
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment